Meatloaf With Zesty Topping

I had a special request to post this recipe and since I had it ready to go and even took a picture, I figured I couldn't let that go to waste. I promise to add some healthier options to the mix.

I am not really a huge meatloaf fan but this is one of the tastier ones I've tried. Pete loves it. The kids, not so much. I've tried lots of modification to pass their inspections, but I have succumbed to defeat on this one. When my mom made this for us when I was little, I can remember dousing it in ketchup so I can't blame them.

That's Mac-n-Cheese in the background, not scrambled eggs.



1 or 2 lbs ground beef
¾ c milk
1 medium carrot, grated
1 ½ c soft bread crumbs
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 small onion
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Pour milk over the bread crumbs. Add ground beef, salt, pepper, carrot, onion and eggs. Mix thoroughly. Pack in a 9 x 5” loaf pan or shape into a loaf.

Topping: 1/3 cup ketchup, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp mustard. Mix together. Spread topping on meat loaf. 

Bake at 400˚ for 1 hour.

Pete likes green pepper so I typically dice about a 1/2 a small one and add it in. I also try to use a leaner meat 90-10% fat, but I suppose you could try ground turkey too.


Comments

Shellina said…
Looks delicious! Thanks for posting. :)

Popular Posts