Creamy Baked Chicken

This is a recipe that came from my grandma. I would say it is a pretty typical Mid-West dish, not the from the mother country type of dish. I (as usual) made a few tweaks (since I knew I had no chance of my selective eaters partaking in this meal, I customized it to my flavor palette). I was hesitant to post this because at a first glance I assumed it would be a calorie splurge and I was shooting for some healthier recipes. I plugged it into Nutrition Data and was pleasantly surprised. Full details below.

Ingredients

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, raw
8 slices Provolone cheese (less if they are big slices)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 soup can of white wine (could use water or apple juice instead)
1 box herb-seasoned stuffing
2 tbsp olive oil






Instructions
Preheat oven to 350˚. Line a 13 x 9 x 2” baking dish with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle all but about a cup of the stuffing on the bottom of the dish. Slowly pour about 1/2 c of water over top of the stuffing mix trying to hit as much as possible. Arrange chicken on top of the stuffing. Top with cheese slices. Combine soup and water/juice/wine, mix well. Spoon evenly over chicken. Sprinkle remaining stuffing mix over top. Drizzle olive oil over crumbs. Bake at 350˚ for 55 minutes. It should be bubbling and the top of the chicken should start to turn golden brown.


When I plugged this all in I winced a little at the 512 calories per serving. But then I remembered that these were pretty large chicken breasts so you could eat 1/2-3/4's of one and be fine saving a few calories there. Also this not only includes the chicken but the side of stuffing. I figure add a cup of steamed veggies for about 50 calories and you have a full meal for around 500-550 calories. Not too bad for a dinner especially a comfort food like this.

If you have any family favorite recipes, cooking tips, whatever. I am always on the look out. Please share.

I almost forgot, I had this amazing BBQ chicken at my brother's house last night. Here is a link to his blog for the recipe. It will a staple in my house for sure. I may try a pulled pork with the sauce. Stay tuned.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Hi there! I dont know if you follow Debbi's blog or not but she has some really yummy recipes. Heres the link:

http://debbidoesdinnerhealthy.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!

JEnnifer

Popular Posts