Soccer Mom - NOT!!!

Remember how annoying the "Not" phase was? Yeah, I am hoping my kids never learn of that one, but in this post, I couldn't resist.

I have always thought of the term "Soccer Mom" as an insult and thus rejected being labeled as one. I played soccer from the age of 4 through high school. I love the game and have enjoyed coaching my kids periodically when a coach was needed. As a player, I was not the star but could hold my own on the field and even in my out of shape condition, enjoy actively participating in the practices I coach.

Soccer Mom to me represents:
  • the mom screaming from the sidelines who most likely doesn't fully understand the game
  • the stage mom of soccer
  • the mom who pushes her kids to be the best
  • the mom who expects her 6 year old to earn a soccer scholarship for college
  • the mom who lives and breaths solely for her children's soccer 
Don't get me wrong, I cheer from the sideline but I have excepted the fact that my kids are not athletically inclined. They could care less and I am just happy to see them involved in something. I want them to have fun and form those childhood bonds through teamwork which link so much deeper than simple play dates.

  • But then I do drive a mini-van filled with kids to practices and games. 
  • Mine will be the loudest voice on the sidelines (though to my defense, only encouraging and praising comments from me).
  • I just had my team make signs to decorate their vehicles so now my van will have soccer bling.
  • I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. making these

    SO as much as I hate to admit it, I probably do officially qualify for Soccer Mom status.

    Comments

    Greg said…
    Soccer moms don't have to be obnoxious. They don't even need to have kids that play soccer. any mom that carts kids from activity to activity is a soccer mom. With those cupcakes, you definitely fit the mold.

    Popular Posts