21 DAYS TO MAKE A HABIT STICK?

The locker room was a little crowded after my workout this morning so I had to get ready for work at a different counter. This little room had a bulletin board with several health related sayings so as I dried my hair I spent a few minutes taking them in.


I meant to get my phone and snap a pic, but I forgot, and now, several hours later, I forget most of the ones I thought were relatable. Story of my life...


But there were a few that mentioned how it takes 21 days to make a habit. As I let it soak in I realized I am on DAY 22. I have managed to workout 22 Days in a row (if you count the Friday I skipped the gym to shovel snow from my driveway - which I am). I do believe this is a new lifetime record for me.


I Googled 21 days to form a habit to see if I could find a similar image to the ones on the bulletin board for this post, but instead I found quite a bit of controversy over this claim. I can't say that I am a transformed woman and this is a new normal for me but I WILL savor the achievement. This is sort of like playing ball with a friend and seeing how many hits you can go back and forth without dropping it. I don't want to drop the ball.

I found this image instead and it spoke to me:



I will say that in the 22 days the excuses have become quieter. They are still there but now I wake up before my alarm and I don't let myself think. I jump out of bed, grab my workout clothes and get dressed trying not to pause long enough for an excuse to develop. When they do creep in (and they do) I take a deep breath and force myself to carry on with the plan.

So far I have been really consistent with the elliptical trainer. I started reading The Girl on the Train and it was a great way to lose track of time. An hour flew by. I do find that I go slower when I read than when I am only listening to music as I tend to keep the beat. To compensate I turn up the resistance a few levels when I read so I can go slower but get the same sweat level.


I just finished the book, so now I may need to force myself to take one of the classes offered to mix things up.

The scale continues to be my arch nemesis. I know my body is de-mush-tacising and muscle building blah, blah, blah but I was really hoping for a more solid weight loss in 3 weeks than 4 pounds given that I have plenty to spare.


BUT - this is not a quick fix, I am in it for the long run, and I am not on a timeline!!! I tell myself this every morning when I stare at the scale. Yes- I am still weighing myself daily. I know... Seriously they need to hide it from me.


oooh. I just remembered one:
Even if you only lose 1/2 a pound a week, you will lose 26 pounds by this time next year.


Food - I have done a little searching on Google and Pinterest for plans but I still think I want to see a nutritionist. I want to ask questions about when/what to eat based on my schedule, body type, goals... Ideally I check back in monthly or so to help keep me accountable. I also don't want to feel like I am on a diet. I want to make smaller changes that I can live with but still see progress. I am totally down with being the turtle on this one.


I am seeing some small changes in my eating habits already:
  • When I first started I was starving and I ate and ate. I tried to make healthy choices but still consumed far too many calories, I am sure. I don't know if I was needing to refuel from the newly added exercise or if it was anxiety from struggling to workout. Probably both.
  • Really just in the last few days I have noticed I can go longer before that hunger sets in.
  • I noticed that when I eat dinner, I am more tuned in to the feeling of being full so I stop eating before getting stuffed. 23 Days ago nights were the worst. I would sit on the couch and unwind from work binge watching tv and eating a big dinner. There was some level of comfort in that slightly too full feeling.
  • I still crave sweets everyday but now I can either ignore it or just have a little piece of chocolate or a mint or something and move on. It doesn't control me as it used to.
Bring on Day 23!

Comments

Elizabeth said…
Way to go!! Keep it up, you're doing awesome!

Popular Posts