VEG OUT

I really thought I would be better about blogging more regularly but here it is another month between posts. Much like last time, I have been consistently boring. My work trip went well. I really focused on eating my veggies and in the time since I have been home, I have continued my elliptical trainer workouts 5-6 days a week. I have eaten pretty good but not perfect and my weight has hovered around a 15-13 pound weight loss. I was noticing that while I seemed to be eating a little less than I had, the carbs were sneaking back in here and there.


My first veggie box couldn't have come at a better time. I almost forgot about it, but after seeing a poster in the gym and a booth outside our cafeteria at lunch one day, I decided to take the plunge. I joined a 20 week local farm (Community Supported Agriculture) crop share. Each Thursday I pick up a box of veggies grown organically near here. I was a little nervous about getting more than we could/would eat but after some internal debate figured it was a great way to try things I may not normally buy and as much as I love the idea of farmers' markets I don't love shopping at them. I feel like I don't know what I am doing. It's weird, I know. Anyway, this took the thinking out of it. They fill it with whatever is ready to harvest and we enjoy.


Anna had practice that night so I almost forgot about it, but I got it home and found romaine, green onions, strawberries, shallots, rutabaga, mushrooms, micro-greens, 2 bunches of bok choi, 2 herbs which I need to pot and confirm what they are ; )


This gave me the push I needed to refocus my eating. I made a mushroom/bok choi stir fry, made roasted rutabaga for the first time ever and vegged up my breakfast replacing my English Muffin with sauteed spinach, red peppers, shallot and micro-greens.


Another part of the equation is definitely my workouts. I know I need to mix it up and add in resistance training but I really like my routine. I am reading for the first time in ages. It helps me forget that I am sweating like a dog, defining hot mess, all at a gym filled with my co-workers. I get in to a book and leave it in my gym locker so I need to go back the next day to read some more. Great motivation to go back but if I am honest with myself, these are just excuses not to push myself harder.


I HATE pictures of myself. Every time I try to take a selfie I am grateful that I am part of a generation that doesn't require this as a daily communication form. But in a few weeks my mom has booked a family photo session. Talk about some motivation to kick it all up a notch and break through the 15 pound plateau. I have sooooo much more to go it is way too early to hit a plateau.


Still thinking about a personal trainer. Any locals have any recommendations, I am all ears. I would like to find someone who can show me a few routines to help me build muscle and tone up and repeat them when I am on my own with minimal equipment. I know there are trainers at KC but I sort of want to consider other options as well.


Updated to include stir-fry recipe courtesy of a Pinterest Link:
1 pound baby bok choy
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (I sprinkled in powdered ginger because that is all I had)
5 ounces small fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake, button, beech, or enoki (cut into clumps), rinsed, tough parts of stems trimmed
2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine* or dry sherry (I used rice wine vinegar)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper
calories 101
caloriesfromfat 63%
protein 2.7g
fat 7.3g
satfat 0.9g
carbohydrate 6.4g
fiber 2g
sodium 345mg
cholesterol 0.0mg

Directions

Trim bases of bok choy and separate outer leaves from stalks, leaving the smallest inner leaves attached. Rinse and thoroughly dry bok choy in a salad spinner.

Heat a wok or large frying pan (not nonstick) over medium-high heat until hot when you wave your hand over the bottom. Add vegetable oil, garlic, and ginger and stir once; then immediately add mushrooms and stir-fry until they just begin to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add rice wine and cook 30 seconds. Add bok choy leaves and stalks and cook, tossing with tongs, until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute. The wok may seem crowded, but the leaves wilt quite a bit.

Add soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper; cook, tossing often, until bok choy is tender-crisp, another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.


NOTES: I found this too salty but it could have been based on my substitutions. I added some fresh spinach to cut the salt and that worked just fine.

Comments

Popular Posts