NEW YEAR, RENEWED FOCUS

I've been thinking about this post for a few weeks but went round and round in my head of how to start. Tonight, I just decided to start typing and see what comes out. I fired up Blogger for the first time in almost a year and it was like connecting with an old friend. You're excited but a bit nervous too. Will you be able to pick up where you left off or struggle to carry on a conversation?


I had to reread my last post because I couldn't even remember how long it had been let alone what I shared. With the new year it just felt like the right time. I am excited for 2024 but hesitant as well.


In 2021, I was able to make progress on my health and my confidence grew. In 2022, my health progress stalled but I was still maintaining a workout routine and better eating, so I considered it a win and far better than I had done in most of my adult life.


For several different reasons, I decided the time was right to pursue a long-time goal of earning an MBA. 2023 was all about growing professionally, learning new leadership skills and filling in some gaps to help open doors in my career when the time comes. I was afraid my health goals would suffer, and I was right.


They did.


I was able to/had to walk our dog every day, but time and knee pain made getting to the gym for strength training a major obstacle. I spent the month of May abroad. It was amazing and stressful. First, I was in Germany for 11 days for work, then to Switzerland and Italy for a few days each, then to Dubai and Oman for 12 days as part of my MBA international studies. Lots of walking but no other exercise. Lots of amazing food too.


When I got home, I tried getting back to the gym but only 2 days a week. I was getting light-headed at times and struggling with knee issues, slowly gaining weight and stress eating.

If you read my last post...


My hip popping/issue did go away once I quit wearing Hokas and wore the shoes recommended for my stride per my evaluation by Fleet Feet and the inserts I use in other shoes.


But my knee pain got worse, and I could no longer do squats/lounges/wall sits... I tried doing the workouts at home so I could pause them and slow down/take breaks so I wouldn't get lightheaded. I had also learned HIIT workouts aren't the best for women my age (perimenopausal). 


But the knee pain would last a few days after each workout so by September, I stopped doing them altogether. I joined some step bets to keep some movement, but I was definitely not burning as many calories and snacking at night was a full-blown addiction. Maybe it was stress, boredom, I'm honestly not sure. I just craved food and it filled an emptiness, so I snacked.


Right after my last class in December I knew it was time to take back control. I broke the night eating habit and tried to focus on mindful eating. I had been as high as 232-ish and within a little over a week I was down to 226.5 but then Christmas/my birthday came followed by my period which is always a 4-5lb gain in itself let alone the holidays and the few drinks I indulged in.


Monday, January 1st, 2024, I faced 233.2 on the scale. Not fun. I never thought I would be here again. I feel rolls which had gone away. I get winded carrying laundry up the stairs. It is frustrating but I am really trying not to get down on myself. This time it wasn't laziness or giving up. I made a choice to take on a big, challenging, time consuming project.


In February, I will graduate with my MBA and fingers-crossed a 4.0. 


As I look ahead, I believe 2024 will be a year of change for my family. Alex just graduated with his bachelor’s degree and is looking for his first career role. Anna will graduate in May and assuming she is accepted will begin a Graduate Program in the fall most likely moving across the country. Ella will graduate 8th grade and we must decide where she goes to high school. Pete is exploring some change within his workplace, and I definitely plan to put my new degree/skills to work. It is all very exciting and makes me nervous at the same time.


With school coming to an end, my health is once again becoming a priority. I am easing into something, but I haven't locked it in yet. For the moment I am back to mindful eating, still walking and I did see a Dr about my knee. He basically said you can spend a lot of money on am MRI to get a little more information, or take ibuprofen short term, or get physical therapy and maybe you will be able to do squats/lounges again or you may not. (So helpful, I am so glad I went...)


I have been watching other online fitness folks and followed a few new ones on Instagram. I will probably join the Y. I'd like to use some machines and more free weights. Maybe a trainer to figure out what I can do with my knees and still workout my lower body. And I am exploring dietary options. I need to book another physical and would like to talk about hormones, menopause and if I get desperate enough, I am not totally against medical weight loss help.


My Goals:

          • 7 weeks until I graduate.
          • I'd kill to see 215 by that time which I believe is about what I weighted when I started my MBA in Oct 2022.
          • But I'd still be ok with 220 if 215 is too aggressive.
          • Then another 11 weeks until Anna's or 13.5 weeks until Ella's graduation.
          • I'd like to see the 100's again by then.
          • 170 by 11/29 would put me at my wedding weight for our 27th anniversary.
          • And a ballpark 140-ish by my 50th = End of 2025


One thing I have learned is that I do so much better when I have accountability. Online journaling and posting my weekly weigh-ins regularly help me stay on track. When you don't hear from me, I am probably struggling. This is a recent pic, I am not proud of. But I will use it as a before and after/progress pic for sure.


Good luck to all those with new goals, new focus, new priorities. I am rooting for you because we got this.




Comments

Debbie said…
Sarah,
You are so right about accountability. I admire your honesty in putting your struggles out in the universe, but I also admire what you have accomplished, as well: having a loving family, having a successful career, and being a strong woman. I have no doubt you will meet your goals. Keep us posted.
dS
Sarah said…
Thanks Debbie, this means a lot.

Popular Posts