Simply, Fancy Quiche

This is my #1 most often requested recipe. The only problem with that is that this is one I just eyeball all the ingredients so it is difficult to put into words, but I'll do my best.

Unbaked pie crust (you can make your own, I get the roll-out refrigerated kind)
4 extra large eggs
1 1/2 - 2 cups half-n-half (I tried fat-free once, but I wasn't a fan)
1-2 cups of whatever extras you want to experiment with

Basic instructions: line pie pan with unbaked crust and set aside, in a bowl beat the eggs, add half and half, stir in extras, add seasonings to taste, pour mixture in pie crust, bake in a preheated 325˚ oven for 45-55 minutes depending on how full the quiche is. Top will rise up, be slightly golden brown and should bounce a bit when touched.

Favorite Variations

Quiche Loraine
Saute 1/2c onions & 2 minced garlic cloves in a bit of olive oil until caramelized, 1/2 - 1 cup cooked bacon pieces, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 cup shredded swiss cheese, salt & pepper to taste. Right before putting in the oven, sprinkle a bit of nutmeg and dried parsley on top.

Spinach & Mushroom Quiche
Saute 1/2c onions, 1c sliced mushrooms and 2 minced garlic cloves in a bit of olive oil until caramelized, mix with 1 box thawed/drained chopped spinach, 1c shredded mozzarella cheese, 1c shredded parmesan cheese, salt & pepper to taste. Right before putting in the oven, sprinkle a bit of nutmeg on top.

What I love most about this recipe is that it is totally forgiving. Play with whatever ingredients you like. I've used shrimp, chicken, bacon, ham, sausage, peppers, asparagus, broccoli, feta, asiago, and goat cheese just to name a few. It all turns out beautifully. I have made these the night before and reheated, I have made the filling and had ready the night before but baked the day of the event. It all works. You can even make the base and use crescent rolls in mini or regular muffin tins for individual or appetizer size portions. I bake those according to the roll instructions for temperature and remove when tops start looking golden brown.

Comments

Popular Posts