Pancakes So Yummy, You'll Never Want IHOP Again


My mom gave me a cookbook at one of my bridal showers, oh so long ago. It is really the only one I have ever used and I have only tried a few dozen recipes out of it, but they have all been excellent. I am a little embarrassed to say all this time I thought it was a Betty Crocker cookbook, but I looked at it just now and it is actually Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.

This buttermilk pancake recipe is one of my favorites. This morning I cut up a few ripe nectarines we had and tossed them in just a tbsp of sugar and some raspberries. So amazing, I skipped the syrup.

1 c flour
1 tbsp sugar (I used 2-3ish)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (I used low-fat)
2 tbsp cooking oil

  • In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and make a well in the center
  • In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients
  • Pour the wet mixture in the well of the dry ingredients and slowly mix together from the center outward
  • Stir until combined, careful not to over mix, batter should be a little lumpy, add more buttermilk to thin batter if necessary
  • Cook pancakes on a hot, lightly greased griddle (I use non-stick spray and set griddle to 300˚)
  • Takes about 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown
  • Makes 8-10 palm size pancakes (I typically double this for my family and have a few leftover)
The book even has nutritional info, and I assume this is with regular buttermilk, not low-fat like I used. Per pancake: 111 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat).

Really these may take 5-10 minutes more than using pancake mix, but so totally worth it and a lot cheaper than going out. When I daydream about winning the lottery and opening my own restaurant, these definitely would be on the menu.

Comments

Mercedes said…
All I can say is Oh Yumm!

Popular Posts