Oatmeal Cookies

I haven't been doing much baking lately (actually with Ella and the kids in school, I haven't been able to do much of anything lately). But today Ella is taking a nice long nap, it is officially fall and I accidentally purchased a big container of oats when I already had a 3/4 one in the pantry.


This can only mean one thing = time to make oatmeal cookies!

I found this recipe on the back of my oats container and I tweaked it just a tad.

1 c vegetable shortening
1 c sugar
1 c packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 c Oats

From here you can add in whatever you want to customize per your family's tastes. This recipe called for 1 c chopped walnuts and 1 c raisins, but since Anna is rais-a-phobic and I didn't have any walnuts, I used 1 1/2 c white chocolate chips and 1 c slivered almonds instead. I considered toffee pieces or Craisins, but maybe next time.

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease (I sprayed with Pam) cookie sheet. Beat shortening and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to shortening mixture; mix well.  Stir in the oats and whatever else you like. Using rounded tablespoons, drop on sheet in a clump (or roll in a ball but this seemed messy and dropping on the sheet worked just fine). Flatten with a fork (not a ton, but so it is about 1/4 in high). Bake 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned. You will smell them when they are getting close. Let stand 1 minute before removing to racks to cool.

Makes 5 dozen

If you follow the original recipe the nutritional info per cookie is: 85 calories, 11.5 carbs, 1g protein, 4g fat, 7mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, .5g dietary fiber.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Always looking for a good cookie recipe!
I'm following you on GFC from Bloggy Moms, thanks for leaving me a comment. Hope you will check out my blog and follow me back, too.
Thanks.

Popular Posts