Pinterest Fun

Like so many of you, I am on the Pinterest band wagon. I love looking at the pics and pinning things that make me drool. I pin way more than I will ever have time or energy to make, but there is always the hope that someday I might get to it.

I was just talking to some friends over the holidays and we were comparing notes on some of the recipes we have tried. (Honestly, I have gotten some great ideas and tips off it, but usually they are quick and often I don't pin them, but store it in my head and move on. Recipes I tend to pin and come back to.)

At first I was thinking I have been less than impressed with what I have sampled, but then I relooked at my boards and there were some winners there too. I wish there was a way to score them so I could recommend or not bother with the ones that don't live up to the photos. But until then, I thought I would give you a topline of my feedback for the stuff I have actually made:

Honey Sesame Chicken

Also known as Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

Different photos and links, but same recipe. I pinned it twice and since I am not sure who the original is, you both get a nod.

This recipe is pretty good. I let it cook too long (8-9 hrs on low vs. 4) and the chicken got a little dry (I blame sled riding). The sauce does a good job of covering that up though. I miss veggies in this dish so I froze some of the chicken and serve the remaining 1/2 with some stir-fried veggies and rice. I would make it again and on a 1-10 scale, it is probably an 8-ish.



Cookies N Cream Oreo Fudge Brownies

So I gained 10 lbs just looking at this image. This recipe had me at Cookies N Cream ice-cream in the batter. I couldn't wait for an excuse to make these.

I am devastated to report that I did not really like these. I know, I am finding it hard to believe myself, they are brownies after all. But I had very high expectations and these failed to deliver. I expected them to be fudgier like this picture. I would probably give theses a 4-5 on the grading scale and not calorie worthy.











Since I played hostess this Thanksgiving, I tried out 2 different Pinterest desserts.

 



Buttermilk Pie
If you like eggs, milk and sugar, you will love this pie. Very simple to make and it was very yummy. A total sugar high so not one I will make very often but I would give it a 9 on the scale. (and that is huge seeing as how it doesn't have chocolate in it)












Pumpkin Crunch Cake

This picture looked really good and sounded simple enough. The pinner said it was better than pumpkin pie so I thought it would be great. It was ok. I liked the bottom part better than the top which was basically pumpkin pie (and also healthier than this cake) so I would probably stick to the traditional route next time around. This one gets a 5, maybe a 6.






Easy Garlic Chicken

I make the same chicken dishes all the time so I was thrilled to try this one and it did not disappoint. Super easy and pretty fast. The only tweak I made was the sauce was really thick, almost like a paste. I added about 1/4 cup of apple juice to thin it out a bit and make it easier to spread on top of the chicken. I loved it. A 10 for me but sadly, my kids didn't like it.









Reese's Cheesecake Brownies

I made these twice over the holidays. The first time I followed the directions exactly. They were good, but a little over the top. I didn't think they needed the Reese's Pieces candy in the cheesecake filling. The second time I left them out and I was out of Reese's cups for the top but used Caramel Kisses chopped up instead. Both times I took them to parties and heard ooo's, aaaahhh's and a few OMG's. I liked them but they are really heavy. I think I would go with an 8.5-9 on these.

Comments

Popular Posts