THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ

The second I left my appointment with the KC nutritionist (Kate), I was dying to tell everyone I saw about my experience.

I can't say for 100% certain what I expected. Let's be real. I have been at this for 30 years. In that amount of time, I have learned a thing or two about nutrition. I know what I should do. It is actually doing it that has been the challenge. But I did have some questions and if I am honest with myself, I really wanted to hear that my diet wasn't that bad. There must be some other reason for my recent weight loss stall.

I was really excited for the visit. I was asked to fill out some forms beforehand. Stuff like:
  • My goals
  • My health background
  • My weight loss history/things I have tried
  • My likes/dislikes
  • My activity level
And most importantly:
  • a food log for 3 days to show what I currently eat
I H...A...T...E food journals. Every kind. I have never kept it up, even the aps which are supposed to be so easy. I never really used it as a tool to learn but instead to list and when I didn't want to add reality to it, or reality came too often to admit, I quit. I just quit. And typically, shortly after, I quit trying to make healthy choices and would regain anything I happened to lose and often a little extra. I think I lost the same 5-10 pounds 9 billion times.

But I did my homework - well sort of. I had been thinking about tracking my food for the week prior to my appointment but rather than write it down in the moment, I waited until the night before and filled it all out at once. That way I was able to pick the days I wanted to share. I picked a day that was a really good - what I considered healthy day, one that was embarrassingly bad, Easter because it was a holiday and a weekend, and a day that was not perfect but pretty good. I wanted to provide a range and also let her know how typical each was.

During the appointment we talked about why I was there, what I wanted from the consultation, my challenges and some strategies for dealing with my emotional eating. I was able to ask her my random questions and best of all we walked through my food journal. She pointed out the good choices, and we discussed strategies for the next time I was facing the bad choices. Then she had taken my good day and tweaked it to make it a great day and used that as an example for how I should model my eating.



The good news was that my good day was not too far off. I was eating too many carbs because my portions were too big and when I eat away my anxiety, carbs are my #1 go to. Plus I love carbs. I relate to Ophra's "I love bread" commercial. I feel ya girl! 

Answers to some of my questions:
  • I asked about my often times 3 pound weight fluctuation from day to day and learned for every 1 (let's say ounce because I honestly don't remember the measurement term she used) for every 1 ounce of carbohydrate you eat up to 3 ounces of water can stick to it and remain in your body. This shows up on the scale.
Mind blown...
  • I also asked about eating around my workout and learned I could cut my preworkout breakfast in half so I now eat 1/2 an English muffin with protein vs the entire thing. It has been enough to get me through my workout and then I have a fruit and protein as a snack after
  • She gave me a check list of how many fruits, carbs, veggies and proteins I should eat in a day but I am not really using it. So far I have been using it as a mental check list vs a physical one but I am keeping a food journal. The difference is I am mixing my thoughts/humor in it to keep me amused.
  • I also asked about my family. I don't want my kids to hear me talk about this and have it translate into something negative or lay a foundation for body issues in them. Kate told me the best thing I can do as a mom is to set a good example. She is totally right and I am sorry it has taken me this long to get it.
The Results:
It has been 5 and 1/2 days since my visit with Kate. In that time I have been crazy good with the exception of dinner last night which was not a total dive in the deep end but a bit of a cheat. I have also worked out 5 of the 6 days (cause how can you count a 1/2 day?).

I have lost 8 pounds. This brings my total to 12!

I am so excited! I finally feel like I am moving in the right direction. When I was brainstorming a title for this post I thought of Dorothy and how she just wanted to get home. She went seeking all these answers but in the end the Wizard of Oz showed her she had the power and it was inside her the entire time. I am relieved that I was able to make some small changes to my diet and see results. It was the motivation and validation I craved.

If there is one thing I have learned in my ups and downs is that you have to really get to know your body. Listen to it and learn what works and what doesn't. This is such an individual journey what is working for me may not for you and vice versa. It has to work for you and your lifestyle.

Thanks to all for your continued support. I am so fortunate to have you all in my life!

Comments

Popular Posts