International Women's Day



I'd like to start by wishing all the women of the world an amazing Women's Day. I am grateful and proud to be part of such a strong group and hope to continue the progress we have made over generations.


This topic is near and dear to my heart and not just because I am a woman or even because I am raising two daughters. I am also the Design Manager for U by Kotex so I literally think about, discuss, and embrace all aspects of womanhood for a living. I am passionate about my work and so relieved to see women being more open about femininity.


Last year I read a book about the history of feminine care. I was originally reading to learn about my brand and how the category evolved but I actually found it fascinating and wondered how I made it into my forties and never really appreciated women and their role in the progress of this country. Just a few highlights:
  • Back in the days of the early settlers, women didn't really have regular periods. Survival was strenuous and a natural form of period suppression. When they did ovulate, pregnancy, miscarriage, infant deaths, and breast feeding also minimized cycles in a woman's life.
  • It wasn't until the industrial revolution that changed life styles so much that women began experiencing regular menstrual cycles.
  • I can only imagine the shock. They thought they were sick, broken, weak...
  • Doctors didn't really understand what was causing it, nor how to treat it.
  • Women were embarrassed and stayed at home or even in bed during their periods.
Can you even imagine?
  • During WWI, Kimberly Clark made bandages of cellucotton for wounded soldiers. The nurses began sewing this material into their underwear and the first feminine care pad was made - Kotex.
I remember being in middle school and going out of my way to a lesser used bathroom. I would wait in a stall as long as I could hoping to be the last one there so no one would hear me opening my pad wrapper. But I also didn't want to be late for class so it was such a stressful situation. No one told me to keep my period a secret but the pressure to do so was insane. I hope I am instilling in my girls, my nieces, their friends, who ever will listen that this is part of being a woman and not something to hide, feel ashamed of, or scared of.


As a mother of a son, I also hope I am teaching him to be comfortable with periods. He should know what the products are and why they are important. Now that I think about it, I should make him shop the aisle with me. Someday his girlfriend or wife will thank me.


I always knew I wanted to be a wife and a mother, I just don't think I ever realized what that would mean. The responsibilities we take on. Multitasking as an art. I could go into a list but if you are a caregiver of any kind you breath it every second of the day.


So I am celebrating International Women's Day tonight with some amazing ladies. Let there be sushi. Let there be wine!


Cheers








Comments

Popular Posts