PUSHING THROUGH

 

I haven't written in a while, so I figured I am past due for a check in. I hope 2021 is going far better than 2020 for everyone. It definitely is for me! If the pandemic taught me anything, it was another reminder of how important our health is. I am 45 years old and have been putting off so many health-related things that I am using 2021 to knock some items off the To Do List.

Lord knows, I LOVE my making and crossing things off my lists!

  • Get a physical
  • See my gynecologist
  • Get a mammogram
  • Get a colonoscopy
  • Get blood work checked
  • Lower my BMI

Super excited that it is June and I have checked all the boxes and am working on the last item which is a long-term goal. All my tests/exams came back normal, no cancers, no concerns...


Honestly, the two I dreaded, Mammogram and Colonoscopy were not that bad. I am guessing new technology and new prep techniques have helped.


As for my weight loss, I spent much of this year a little frustrated at the itty-bitty, snail pace of movement on the scale. I had super high hopes of the weight falling off now that I finally have exercise and eating right in sync. But it took more work than that... A lot more.


In my past efforts, this is where I would have quit. Not straight up. But I would have lost hope, indulged here and there, missed workouts, and eventually stopped trying all together. I have been through that scenario more times in the last 25 years than I can count. Which is what got me to 245 pounds.


NOT THIS TIME!!!


I am at the top of the age hill looking at a ride down and time is only picking up speed. I don't want to burden my family with my care because I couldn't get healthy enough to take care of myself. This time, if I am not happy with the results of my efforts, I am pushing harder. I am doing all the work and this time I WILL get to my goal.

  • If I gain or stall, I am tracking my macros. Just doing that has been enough to make a difference in the scale and get things moving again.
  • I am doing my HIIT workouts 4-6 days a week, but I had a feeling it wasn't enough. Great for strength building but I need more cardio. Sitting at a desk all day makes it hard to get in 10,000 steps a day, so I must squeeze them in. Most days I average 5,000-7,000 even with the HIIT workouts.
  • I set my 10,000 steps a day goal back on May 26th. That means if I have meetings I am not leading and can mute myself/not needing to take notes, I turn up my speakers and I walk laps around my home office. At night I turn on the TV and still melt my brain with Bravo shows but I walk laps around my kitchen. When the weather is good and I find the time, I go for a walk.
  • So far I have hit my 10,000 steps a day goal 16 of the last 20 days and 2 of the misses were due to the colonoscopy.
  • Speaking of colonoscopy, the prep basically had me do a 36 hour fast. I discovered I can actually fast. It didn't kill me, so I think I may dabble a bit in intermittent fasting in the future.
  • I've also focused on non-scale victories.
  • I cleaned out my closet and I had a lot of clothes from my rise on the scale that I hung on to thinking someday I would fit into them again. Well, I did it. Many fit or were too loose. But many either weren't my style anymore (some are 10-15 years old) or really never were but they fit well enough, so I bought them and wore them. 
  • I tried on shoes I have barely worn because they fit but weren't comfortable to wear for more than a few minutes. Those fit better now too. I wore a pair on a dinner date with Pete and we strolled around downtown after. It was a perfect night, and I had no pain.
  • I feel more confident. I am buying smaller sizes of everything and wearing things I wouldn't have 40 pounds ago.
  • This last one, will probably be posted to my Story tomorrow, but I realized the bath towel now wraps around me without a gap. I almost cried when I realized this.

So, all in all, I am very happy with my 2021 progress so far. I am right at 205 and really want to break into the 100's by the end of June. The 50-pound mark is not far off either...

 

Comments

Popular Posts