ROUNDING THE CORNER

 



As I am writing this post, I weigh 200.8 lbs. My goal was to reach the 100's by the end of June which leaves me two more days. I don't want to jinx it but I feel like this time it is going to happen.

Just 8 days ago, I was at 209.8 so I really didn't think it was possible. Actually, if I am totally honest, when I started this journey I wanted it but deep, deep, deep down, I didn't think I'd get there. I have tried sooooooooooooo, many times and yo-yo-ed. It just seemed unachievable.

The last time I saw a number starting with a 1 on the scale was in 2004. I had been watching what I ate and putting the 2 kids in the stroller and going for nightly walks. That fall, one of my brothers passed and Alex started kindergarten. My walks became homework time and the loss of Joe was a pain I had never felt before. These two events were more stressful than I could have imagined. My efforts stopped and the scale steadily climbed upward for the next 14-ish years.

I've tried many diets, workout plans and combinations of the two. Maybe it is just timing but right now I feel I have finally turned a corner. I feel confident in my eating plan. I know what to eat and how much to see results but it has taken me years of trial and error.

As for movement, that has been harder to master. I've been doing HIIT workouts for over a year now. Typically I go 5 days a week for 30-40 minutes focusing on strength building. Mariah designs the classes and I just have to do what she says 😉.

I was toning up and losing inches. The scale was a bit more stubborn.

Towards the end of May, I knew I needed more cardio so I set a goal to get in 10,000 steps daily. I was pretty good at it, but this meant many zoom meetings or evenings spent walking laps around my kitchen. Literally.

The scale started to inch down.

Then about 11 days ago, I hit all the goals on my Fitbit. For those unfamiliar that means checking these boxes:
  • at least 10,000 steps
  • at least 5 miles (which for me means 12,500 steps or more)
  • burn over 2,600 calories
  • exercise at least 30 minutes
  • climb at least 10 flights of stairs

    So I decided to make that my new goal. Now I had to walk 12,500 steps each day. I also had to make an effort to get in the 10 flights of stairs. Working at my home office means I may go upstairs 2 times a day if even. And without intentionally moving, my steps might only be 3,000 a day.

    I can show you what a difference this new goal has made for me. This graph visually shows the day I increased my steps from 10,000 to 12,500 and how I lost almost 10 pounds from such a simple change. And let me tell you, when I walk laps around my house, I am not booking it. It is a slow but steady pace. 

    But I realized, instead of sitting on the couch, watching Bravo and snacking, I am now strolling. I would have consumed 300-800 calories and instead am burning 200-400 calories.

    I am sure my family, neighbors and my dog, think I am crazy but I'll take it. This is the first time I can remember that I am seeing consistent progress. Fingers-crossed it is sustainable.

    I do worry a bit because I feel like this is similar to raising a new born. As soon as you think you've got it and you're on a roll, you get a curve ball: the baby's sleeping pattern changes or they hit a growth spurt or teething... I am sort of waiting for the next curve ball.

    If I hit my Onederland milestone in a few days, it is the first of many (I hope). I still have a very long journey ahead as I am just getting to the halfway point. I've said it before but I truly can't thank everyone for any words of encouragement and the support you have shown. Many times I think, "Who wants to hear about my gains/losses AGAIN, or who cares what I had for lunch..." but I do it for accountability and appreciate you all playing along.

    Tomorrow is Transformation Tuesday, so I thought I'd commemorate this milestone with another comparison photo.



    From the bottom of my heart, thank you,






    Comments

    Unknown said…
    Sarah, Dad says he is so proud of you, but then he/we always are proud of you anyway. I am so glad you have found what works for you. I know you are not one to give up, so even if it took a little while to figure this out, you can be so proud of yourself for achieving your goals. Looking forward to your, Pete, and Ella's visit. Love you a bunch! Mom
    Unknown said…
    Sarah,

    You have always been an amazing young woman, but to be so open with your weight struggle, and now to share your accomplishment, well, there may be less of you, but you are still amazing!

    Hugs,

    Debbie
    Sarah said…
    Thank you both! This has definitely been the hardest battle I’ve faced yet. And I look around and see so many other people who may be going through the same. I see so many success stories of people in there 20-30’s but I’m 45. I want to prove it isn’t too late. If I can do it anyone can. And once I cross my finish line I plan to circle back to help others cross theirs too.

    Popular Posts