AnyBerry Pie

Feels like forever since I posted a recipe. Probably because it has been forever since I have actually spent time in my kitchen cooking beyond something quick my kids will eat.

Got to love a long non-gift holiday weekend without a soccer game. I was able to get my chores done, go to my cousin's birthday party (which all three of my kids had a blast - almost impossible to do, so well done on the party Kip & Steph) and do a little cooking.

Typically I like to share things that are easy but insanely good. No brainers if you will. This one is a bit more complicated and time consuming than I like, but totally worth it. The original recipe is a blueberry pie which my mom makes often for family parties as it is one of my brother's favorites.

(Actually, now that I think about it, I don't get desserts made for me. Pete gets his favorite pie made, granted it is an easy pie to make, but still, more often than most of my family members. Hmmmm. Just sayin')

While I do like the blueberry pie, Anna hates blueberries and Alex isn't a huge fan of raw ones either so I decided to give this recipe a shot using strawberries. It did get a little runnier, I am assuming because the strawberries were sliced and started to make their own juice, but it was still super yummy. I imagine it would be good with blackberries or raspberries too.

8 oz cream cheese softened
¼ c sugar
¼ c sour cream
½ tsp vanilla
9” baked pie shell, cooled
2-3 c fresh blueberries
½ c water
½ c sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2-3 Tbsp powdered sugar
dash cinnamon & nutmeg

Blend cream cheese, sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Pour this mixture into a pie shell and chill until firm. Mash 1 cup of the blueberries, add ½ cup of water and bring to a boil. Strain mixture, then add enough water to make 1 cup of the juice. Next combine the sugar and cornstarch and add to the strained juice. Cook, stirring until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Let cool. Put the remaining blueberries on the pie. Pour the glaze over all. Chill 3 hours. Mix powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Shift mixture over the pie.

I omitted the cinnamon and nutmeg from my strawberry pie version, really out of laziness but I also wasn't sure if those spices would be good on strawberries. 




I used 1/3 fat cream cheese and fat free sour cream just to cut corners where I can. I also am a fan of the roll-out ready made pie crusts. (anything for a short cut, though my mom swears homemade crusts are the only way to go.) When I baked it the sides slid down so I just broke them off. I figured that saves another 1/2 the fat and calories right there. I had even considered going completely crustless. I think it would still be just as good but might be harder to scoop out so I didn't.

And since I was cooking, (hope to do more today - Becky, I owe you a soup recipe) thought I would share the quiche I made too. It has been well over a year since I made one and it was delish. You can find the recipe here: Simply Fancy Quiche




 

Comments

Popular Posts