LAZY KETO PROGRESS

If this is your first time reading one of my blogs, welcome. If not, yes, this is another post on my weight loss journey.

Let me think back to where we last left off. Pretty sure a year ago (and the year before that) I had played with going sugar-free. I had some progress and like so many of my attempts, eventually I slipped and couldn't maintain my efforts. I will say the summer of 2018 gets and A for effort. I was not working full-time and had a personal trainer. I was doing good on working out and OK on eating. I saw some progress (maybe down 10-15 lbs) but it was a lot of work. By late October, I started a new full-time job and scheduling workouts got harder and harder.

In January my trainer also got a new job and my workouts stopped all together. I had very good New Year's Resolution plans but never actually put them into gear.

By February I was seeing those pounds creeping back up on my scale.

I took a work trip in the middle of February and on my way home downed a ginormous piece of cake from an airport bakery. It was amazing but I wasn't even that hungry and I literally felt sick after. I was sick from the sugar and stuffed. I was sick of being obese and sick of letting myself down.

A few people at work were on Keto (which I really knew nothing about) and were seeing results. I needed to try something new. I spent a day googling it to learn more and jumped right in on the next day. I also went to Target to get a few books on it with recipes so I would have some idea of what to do and keep me motivated.

Shockingly the weight started falling off, and fast. I lost 8 lbs in the first 4 days. I am sure it is water but who cares. My scale said down 8!!!

I really didn't have any Keto symptoms. Some mild headaches for a few days but nothing some Advil couldn't handle.

I had fun playing with food and surprisingly enjoyed eating this way. I do call this Lazy Keto because I don't count or track any of my food intake. I also didn't work out  A T   A L L . My progress did slow. For months I ate high quality fats, protein and veggies but my habits didn't change. I still snacked at night and the scale held firm.

Normally I probably would have given up, but I do like eating this way. I like calorie worthy foods and much of what I was eating were things on my naughty list for most of my life. I found a few substitutes when I really wanted carbs and this wasn't all that hard. Instead I started asking myself when I wanted to eat, "Are you hungry or do you just want to put food in your mouth?" Most times I just wanted to eat so I didn't.

Then the scale started back in the right direction. Slowly, but I am in no rush, I managed to lose 25-30 lbs depending on the day.

For months I have been thinking I need to increase my exercise (since it has been zero). I think about it but I am an expert at prioritizing everything else in my life except working out. 

This weekend Anna showed me her progress pics. I failed to mention she started on this journey with me. I hope one day she will let me tell her story because her pics are fantastic and I think it is a great example of a teenager working hard and losing weight in a healthy way. So I thought I would take some pics of myself and compare. 




I am glad I did. I have been feeling great about my progress, and I am, but the pictures aren't as drastic as I feel. I have a long road ahead and I know I need to continue to make changes and take steps to change my life. So this weekend, I finally went back to the gym.

And I would like to keep blogging to keep myself accountable to moving forward. Plus this is an entirely different way of cooking and I'd love to share my recipes, low-carb finds and tips and tricks to living a low-carb life.

I hope you will cheer me on or even join me and share my story with others. Pete told me I need to find a group and since I prefer to do things my way, I'd like to build my tribe.

All are welcome.





Comments

Popular Posts